Friday, January 30, 2009

Almost Famous

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -- Philip Seymour Hoffman as legendary Creem Magazine editor Lester Bangs.

Have you ever noticed that sports-related injuries are never isolated to the place that hurts? Sure, the pain may radiate from your hip, your heel, or your hamstring, but its destination is always your heart. Something about our "real" selves disappears with the inability to perform and achieve results. And when that happens, it's hard to be cool.

I am trying to be patient with my trick knee and not get blue as I feel the fitness built in five weeks of solid running ebbing from my body every day.

There is consolation in Thursday and Friday's honest swims and the blessed 1.5 hours I plan to enjoy in the water Saturday morning. I've been surprised, though, at the twinges I feel in my knee, even with two-beat kicking and soft flip turns. It's hard to go easy when my cardio fitness wants to click into gear but if I let it happen I could make things worse.

If I get on my bike on Sunday, will it make me cool again?

No comments:

Post a Comment