Sunday, February 1, 2009

I'll Fly Away

Many thanks to John S who coached a highly creative swim workout from Maui Masters at GLAD this morning.

http://www.gladswim.org/

We swam a total of 4500 yards. The main set was:

200 IM @ 20 seconds rest
100 IM @ 15 seconds rest
2 x 75 fly (back, breast, free) @ 10
3 x 50 fly (back, breast, free) @ 5
2 x 50 kick (fly back, breast, free) @ 5
4 x fly sprint (back, breast, free) on :30

We swam the set 4 x with a different stroke following the IMs in each rotation. Not surprisingly, fly was the easiest on my knee, no doubt because the power in the stroke comes from your belly button and not from your legs. Especially on the freestyle and flipturns, my knee felt a little loose and achy. I know it is important to keep the workouts "focused and specific" with respect to the triathlon race goal, but this little non-free indulgence was a treat!

Our lane had great energy, with Matt, Jan and Princess Maybe taking care of business and having fun. I also received some much needed-spiritual sustenance from Tom after the workout. Tom is a fellow traveler with whom I trained for IMC in 2005.

Today is Superbowl Sunday. Typically, I like to ride long on game day because the streets tend to be empty. I'm not brave enough to risk an outside ride, so today I plan to spin in front of the TV during halftime...with the cool ads keeping my brain from atrophying on the trainer!

No comments:

Post a Comment