Monday, January 19, 2009

Riding Like a Rock Star

Today's pool closure due to the MLK Jr. holiday meant a little creativity was in order. While I would have welcomed a sweet, easy swim practice to give my tired legs a break after the weekend's higher-impact workouts, I went instead to the cycling studio for an early ride.

This was my first morning session at Herriott, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The ever-sanguine Todd rolled in as I arrived just after 6, gearing up for a 6:30 start. I turned out to be the only person who signed up for the class, so I had the luxury of a workout customized just for me (is this what Gwen Stefani feels like?), an honest effort but focusing on recovery....2 x 20 minute long hills with 5 minutes of spinning in between. I felt bad that Todd had gotten out of bed for just one rider, but he was cool and did his best to make sure I had a good training session and some fun, too.

We watched LeMond and Hinault duke it out in the 1986 Tour de France on the big screen. I love those old tours and am blown by the way those guys rode the Alps and Pyrenees on ridiculously heavy bikes with hardly any gears and down tube shifting!

Great workout that set the tone for a good day, though I can't wait for the happy comfort of the pool in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment