Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pink Power

With the big RED LETTER registration date a mere week away, today thoughts turn to the Danskin. Danskin is a tradition for many women in the Seattle triathlon community. An all-women’s race, with a relatively forgiving, very well-supported course, for many it represents a first-ever foray into the sport. Despite its size (there have been up to 6000 participants in it, though I believe the entry list will be closer to 4500 this year), the race sells out within hours. You have to be on top of this one, or you will miss.

If I manage to get in, 2009 will mark my 12th trip around the Danskin's .5 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Every year since 1998, it has one of been the best days of the summer. There’s something about the pink power there that makes you laugh and cry. Even though I’m “in it to win it” and one of my life goals is to do exactly that, the real race happens for the women out there who cross the finish line knowing they have stepped outside of themselves in a huge way. They chose this race because they had a goal, made a plan, stuck it out, and succeeded. You have to see it to believe it.
Of course, there is a faction of us who duke it out for the top spot year after year. My best Danskin was 2005, when I set a new course record on the bike leg. (It fell a year later, and has now been shattered by minutes.) Last year I was 6th. The Danskin sponsors import their pros from SportBeans, Luna Bar and other companies who typically top the race. This year, a new division has been created called “Amateur Elite” with 12 spots for those of us with day jobs who also are competitive in the sprint distance but don’t carry a coveted pro card in their wallet.
I think that will make this year’s Danskin especially fun (everyone in the AE group will need to prove a top 10 finish in a USAT sanctioned event, so the competition will be tough) but it’s nice not to be ranked against 25-year-olds who not long ago were All American swimmers and runners at Div 1 schools and have taken up triathlon for real.

I will be back to say more about this, but for now, I’ll post a few happy Danskin photos, and a Seattle Times article from last year. I am usually not such a publicity hound – at least not for myself. Sheesh.