Sunday, June 28, 2009

Remembering Michael

I think the last time I thought a lot about him, I was still a P.Y.T.

I have over 500 songs loaded on my iPod, but not a single one of them is his.

As we arrived at the beach Friday morning, someone said, "Welcome to the Michael Jackson Tribute Swim."

This remark brought about a full range of reactions...people who were already tired of hearing about recent events, people whose strongest feelings about him had to do with court cases and a little boy being dangled over a balcony...while others hummed Billie Jean under their breaths and moon walked in their flip flops.

We reminisced about how old we were the first time we saw the Thriller Video. I remember being a 7th grade baby sitter, sneaking a forbidden glimpse at this new phenomenon called MTV...and being just that. Utterly Thrilled.

Like most of the good things in my life, my memories of Michael are connected to the water. Summer afternoons canoeing on Serene Lake with my best friend Tara were not complete without Thriller on the tape player that summer we were 14. What a simple, happy time that was.

I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said about Michael. But here is how I will remember him.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/michael-jackson/206759/man-in-the-mirror.jhtml

No comments:

Post a Comment