Sunday, June 28, 2009

3 Otters & The Cold Rush

Saturday morning brought perfect swim conditions. Sunny skies and flat water. DT, Joseph and I opted for a "sight seeing swim" northbound from Madison Beach. We swam along the shoreline, under the 520 bridge, and across toward Husky Stadium.

Our turnaround point was a log platform DT knew about. We stopped there and just enjoyed the morning for a quiet while, but not before we laughed ourselves silly trying to climb up onto the slippery, rolling logs and trying to unseat one another. Drivers on the bridge could easily have mistaken us for three playful otters, instead of a trio of forty-somethings: an attorney, an accountant, and a girl who sells produce for a living.

Ran 25 minutes on the treadmill last night; my knee hurt badly until it warmed up then just thrummed along with a dull ache.

This morning we swam out to Denny Blaine -- my first time swimming the longer distance route this summer. We added a touch-and-go stop at the Cove on the return trip to get us into a more protected lie as the water was getting choppy and the boat traffic was getting thicker.

I came out of the water surprisingly cold; I waited for a few friends with my wetsuit off in the shallow end for about 10 minutes and I think it did me in. Even the heater in the car, a snuggle in bed with Mike and a hot shower have not done the trick. I'm on my second cup of coffee. I'm in fleece sweats, a long underwear top with a t-shirt over it and my penguin slippers. I've been out of the water for two hours and am still chilly and chattery. I think this is what Connor calls "the Cold Rush."

Looking forward to racing at Sasamat Wed! Hopefully I'll be warm by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment