Monday, March 23, 2009

So are you ready? Good. You're done.


That's what Dr. O'Kane said in the few seconds between the needle first entering my knee and when it was all said and done.
Talk about a nonevent. Thank goodness. He was sweet and I was a wimp. I am tough enough to swim 2.5 miles, ride 112, and run 26.2, but a slim little needle reduces me to a quivering mass of goo.
"You're shaking," he said, touching my shoulder reassuringly. Yeah...it's my low resting heart rate, hypoglycemia and aversion to needles. Oh, and I haven't had my coffee yet today. We joked about how heroin addicts only like to shoot themselves and fear needles from anyone else. Talk about irony. So I sat and read People Magazine and tried not to cry.
I emailed coach Phil (see photo and keep your eye-candy comments to yourself) asking that he manage my expectations and set me up with a re-entry strategy for the week of 3/30.
I am flying to Bismarck, ND in the morning to be part of a work thing of Mike's. I don't think there are triathlons in Bismarck. I think there is a pastry named after it, tho. I hope to swim at the Y. People say that it's like going back to the 50s. Will my Speedo Endurance suit cause a scandal? (I hope so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment