Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MRI and the Larger Why

Sorry for the long delay. After going off the deep end a bit on my last post, I decided to let the drama subside and wait until I had something sensible to say before coming back.

So here we are. Friday I had an MRI on my knee; today I received a reassuring interpretation that rules out all of the short term scary stuff as well as the monsters that may take up full time residence under the bed.

(Have you ever seen how your knees look from the inside? It's really cool. God has made us so beautifully.)

Unfortunately, there are still a number of questions. We spotted a collection of fluid beside/under my kneecap and the related inflammation, but nothing more worrisome. So...it's more ice, more ibuprofen, more rest...for another few days while I contemplate the future cortisone shot.

My extra swimming has also led to what seems to be tendonitis in my left shoulder, so the ibuprofen will be working double time.

As usual, the best part of the visit with Dr. O'Kane was the time spent on philosophical issues, as he encouraged me to explore the questions, motivations and metrics of the heart with respect to my athletic journey. More later on this, perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. Your doctor sounds cool -- like a sports doc philosopher/guide. Look forward to reading more on the M & Ms of the Heart.

    ReplyDelete