Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wetsuit Welcome

Today I swam for the first time since La Jolla Cove. I have had to prioritize work, traveling and also giving up the pre-work swim to get in the office before 6 am.

Today's dip almost made up for it.

I wore my wetsuit for the first time since mid July. The lake temperature is still really nice; somewhere in the high 60s. Tatyana, Ruth, Jan and I enjoyed an easy round trip to the Cove, and I loved skimming on top of the water with the added buoyancy the wetsuit provides. I missed the feel of the water on my arms and legs, though.

I hope to hit the lake a few more times before flying to LA for a week on Tuesday morning and possibly hanging up my earplugs in for the season. It has been such a long lovely summer of swimming and so much more. I can't remember a happier one.

Since my last post I paid a visit to the loveable and capable Dr. O'Kane, who has referred me to a colleague who specializes in knees. Oh, and knee surgery. We are going to do one more diagnostic (something to do with a treadmill and lidocaine) on 10/14 and then we'll know for sure if exploratory surgery is the only thing that might bring me back to good.

It has taken almost six months, but I am actually starting to miss running. Maybe that's because it's autumn, the temperature is perfect, the leaves are changing, and all the stuff I'm allergic to has either died off or gone away.

I am dedicating the winter to fixing my knee -- it is my singular training goal.

I want to do triathlons again, perform well, and enjoy the lean fitness of that life.

I weigh 120 pounds today but don't think I've been this soft in a dozen years. Swimming makes me happy, but it doesn 't make me skinny.

I came home from NYC Wednesday to find a trophy from Danskin in the mail box. I guess I was third in the amateur elite category. I'll take that.

I will post the grinning idiot photo soon, and close the book on my 12th time around that race course.

No comments:

Post a Comment