Sunday, September 27, 2009

Love of my Life Guard

Last week Mike and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary.

And today, the man who has given me the best of everything for a decade and a half (and more, if you count all the good stuff that happened before the jewelry was exchanged that September afternoon in 1994) delivered another really great present.

I had a hard time rallying pals to for a lake swim today, but was really eager to go. It's gorgeous out, but summer is fading fast. Every opportunity to get into the water has become a precious one. As well as I know the southbound course from Madison Park, and as buoyant as I am in a wetsuit, you can't deny the dangers of swimming alone.

Mike volunteered to play lifeguard for me, hanging out with a book and a bagel on the beach while I swam for about 50 minutes. It was so reassuring to flip over as I rounded the dock out of the swimming area to see him standing in the bright morning sun, watching me.

There was a wicked little wind out there, pushing me south and creating some challenging ripples to overcome on the inbound trip.

When I returned to the beach, Mike had my NEW! monkey slippers in hand. What a sweet morning.

1 comment:

  1. Nice coup there Mermaid, 15 years and still head over heels. Great story too. xo

    ReplyDelete