Saturday, April 18, 2009

Swimming Like It's 1996

Last week I swam five consecutive days. Each workout was over 3000 yards. I don't think I have done that in over a dozen years.

I used to live to swim. But then, after getting serious about triathlon, swimming became a 2-3x weekly "recovery" session between cycling and running workouts. While the summer lake swims have always been heavenly, especially over the last few years I have carried a lot of fatigue with me even into open water.

It feels good to be swimming for its own sake, and watching the clock become increasingly generous. There's a threshold for everyone; we'll see where mine is at 40. When I was 15, I set the Mariner High School 50 freestyle record at :25.2, and could hold race pace 100s around :56. When I was 28, I came within a second of each of these times. Not sure what will happen with a dedicated effort 12 years later, but you never know. Think of Dara Torres and what she has achieved. I have no aspirations for fast sprinting these days, but love how my 500 times keep dipping.

This week's highlight was "breastroke day" at the 5 am GLAD workout Thursday. I kept up with Bill (OK...I so I just streamlined in his wake for most of the workout) then was able to hang with the speedy John S during side-by-side 50s as the session wrapped up.

I am going to Las Vegas Tue for a couple of days, and am hoping to connect with the UNLV Masters while there.

No comments:

Post a Comment