Sunday, April 12, 2009

Steeley Dan meets Iron Man on Easter Morning

I know what happens.
I read the book.
I believe I just got the Goodbye Look.

Last week a friend of mine asked me what I was going to do about the Iroman, and for the first time I uttered the words out loud: "I don't think I can do it."

There is something powerful about saying things out loud, isn't there? You can love someone quietly through your actions, but until you tell them, the sentiment lies a little dormant, doesn't it?

Some of my triathlete friends share chapter and verse on every ache and pain, filling the air with negative energy. Don't they realize that by talking about it, they are making their issues REAL? There is some mixed Velveteen Rabbit metaphor in here, but I refuse to dig for it, even in tribute to the Easter Bunny on this special day.

Back to Steeley Dan. Today the Ironman gave me the Goodbye Look. I know I need to meet its gaze soon. My knee hurts. I'm tired of fighting and waiting.

Yesterday we all went up to my parents' house on Camano to celebrate Easter and help get the yard in shape. My 14 year old nephew Jake and I got to talking about things as we snipped away at the dead ferns surrounding the driveway. He was excited about the rhododendron their family had brought to add to the yard. "We can't plant it until tomorrow," he said. "Because Easter is about new life and all that."

Right you are, kid.

This morning I compiled a calendar of summer open water swim races.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Love the "Goodbye Look". Love your nephew's wisdom.

    Yes, there is a power to our words. And combine that with actions -- YOWZA!

    It's going to be a different kind of summer -- a FUN one??

    Your friend in "Getting the Look",
    Princess M.

    ReplyDelete