Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bobcageon






As I curled up on the blue couch this morning, with a hot coffee in hand and the fourth installment of Twilight on my lap, I looked out at the fog hanging over the lake and thought to myself: there's no way.


Of course I was torn, because I've always wanted to swim outdoors on Halloween. All Saint's Day...so much the better.


I remembered the good-natured determination on Joseph's face yesterday at practice as he cajoled DT and me to consider swimming in the lake today. He said it would be fun. And also that he felt the need for some closure to what had been such a happy and memorable swimming summer. And that resonated. I had hoped for a goodbye swim at Madison beach a few weeks ago, but we ended up swimming elsewhere and all I got was cranky.


Was a November swim was more of a story I wanted to tell than something I truly wanted to do? There was only one way to find out.


By the time I reached the beach, the fog had burned off, the sky was clear and bright, and the water, while not perfectly smooth, was invitingly close.


The costume was not glamorous. Scuba hood with tunic (excellent second neoprene layer), wetsuit, booties, cap and goggles. I think Joseph added earplugs to his ensemble, and DT went old school with just a regular cap and wetsuit.


The water was a brisk 56 degrees. The initial ice cream headache took a few minutes to subside, but once we were moving, the water was actually was fairly pleasant. I think we were all surprised how comfortable we were. After a quick gut-check at the 9 Minute Dock, the Boys of Summer went "Cove or Bust" in November, while I went as far as the red slide at the tennis club. I think I was in the water just under 40 minutes.


And when we returned to the beach, we all acknowledged that it still might not be over. Another sunny weekend morning might find us back.


Happy 50th birthday to DT, who swims like a man half his age.


No symbolism here, but this song will always remind me of today:

1 comment:

  1. Nice job and great story--and pics!
    I so absolutely think we do many things for the story value -- and why not!

    ReplyDelete