Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Carpooling

So I picked up my neighbor Geoff at 5:15 this morning on the way to the beach.

"You've gotta love swimmers, we're always on time," he said, as he folded his tall frame into the passenger seat of my Miata. "There are three things in life where promptness matters. Swimming, fishing, and going to church."

Which made me think of the relative insanity of what we do. Some would say it's nuts to leave the warmth of your bed, drive across town in the dark, jump into the lake when the water and the sky are barely more than contrasting shadows (we are sighting off dock lights for the first quarter mile or so these days), braving chop and chill and who knows what other conditions...just to partake in our delicious ritual. Today, we already had 1.5 miles behind us when the sun came up.

I can't think of much else that would get me out of bed this early, or this gladly. I think I am blessed that there is something in my life that I love enough to make me do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment