Sunday, July 5, 2009

Spooky Swim

This morning, when Eric, Tatyana, Liz, Ruth, Joseph and I launched from Day Street Beach under I-90, the haze from last night's fireworks and our recent heatwave hung heavy. Our 3.2 mile goal post, the condo tower at Madison Park, was impossible to see.

We felt like extras in some apocalyptic B movie as we swam along the misty shoreline. The water, on the other hand, was buttery smooth and delicious.

We broke the swim into 1-mile sections, stopping just past the marina at Leschi, at Denny Blaine, and then home. The first mile was slow and sweet. Eric picked up the pace on mile two and I decided to hang on. By the time we started mile three, I was game not only to pace Eric but to try to put a little time into him, which I managed for awhile. We finished the swim together in about an hour and a half; not bad for the distance and the stops.

Today is Parents Day. Within minutes, mine, Mike's and our various siblings will be gracing my doorway, and shortly our nephews and niece will dazzle us with their best cannonballs in our backyard pool.

The haze has lifted. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment